Schmuckkästchen - Hotel
Konstantinos Nikou
Hauptstraße 185
63897 Miltenberg

Tel: +49 (9371) 5500
Fax: +49 (9371) 65511
Handy: +49 (176) 64176195

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Opening hours Hotel

Monday - Sunday

07:00 am - 06:00 pm


„Our Schmuckkästchen is already over 500 years old ,  one of the favorite scenery of tourists, painters and photographers in the world famous marketplace "Schnatterloch“

  • Schmuckkästchen - Hotel & Café Miltenberg
  • Schmuckkästchen - Hotel & Café Miltenberg
  • 1
  • 2

 "Schmuckkästchen" - Hotel & Café in Miltenberg was known before as, 
„Gackstättsche Haus“, „Wohnhaus am Schloßberg“, „Haus Clausius“, and „Weinhaus Am Alten Markt“

In the year 1508 Leonard Hackstatt, the "Centgraf" of Bürgstadt, was living in this oriel decorated half-timbered house on the westside of the marketplace, which surmounted that of his neighbors. Possibly because of the just started war, he had chosen his household to be in the walled safety of Miltenberg. At the time the house was called "das Gackstättische Haus". In the romantic era, it was known under the name "Das Wohnhaus am Schloßberg". Between 1844 and 1964, because of its utilization of the carpenter family of Friedrich Clausius and his many descendants, its been known as „Haus Clausius“.

Since the 700 years celebration of the city Miltenberg in 1937, it has been written in the entablature of the house, that from the year 1861, Ludwig Cölestin Bauer lived in it for 7 years. From him came the words for the formerly famous national anthem "O Deutschland hoch in Ehren". Nowadays, only few people know this national anthem from around the time of the first world war, which was then common property of the German people:

O Deutschland hoch in Ehren,
du heilges Land der Treu,
Nachts leuchtet deines Ruhmes Glanz
In Ost und West auf neu.
Du steht wie deine Berge fest
Gen Feindes Macht und Trug
Und wie des Adlers Flug vom  Nest
Geht deines Geistes Flug.
Haltet aus haltet aus,
Lasset hoch das Banner wehn!
Zeiget ihm, zeigt dem Feind,
Wie wir treu zusammenstehn,
Daß er unsre alte Kraft erprobt,
Wenn der Schlachtruf uns entgegentobt!
Haltet aus im Sturmgebraus!

In the late fifties, Liselotte Pulver the star of the movie "The Spessart Inn" whirled inside this house known by that time, the "Gackstättschen House".

From 2:30 to 5:30 in the said movie, you can see how "Schmuckkästchen - Hotel & Café" looked in ancient times.

For centuries, until he year 1964, the half timbered house was inhabited. They said that it was home to merchants, artisans and poets at that time. Then it stood empty for 15 years. The building had increasingly depriciated over the years. By the end of the seventies, it was really bad for that beautiful half-timbered house, the windows were smashed and closed with wooden boards.

A newspaper report from the Miltenberger Tagblatt in 1979 wrote: "It almost seems like irony. On one of the largest airports in the world, the Kennedy Airport to New York, Germany advertises itself with a poster depicting a house which for years already depriciated. It is the "house Clausius" in the old trading town of Miltenberg, a towering slender, orieldecorated half-timbered house.

After two failed attpemts of Miltenberg´s businessmen to renovate the house, in the end of 1970s, a married couple Hedwig and Lothar Scheurich from Schippach, discovered this historic jewel. In 01.07.1980 all obstacles were finally cleared (Fire Insurance Association, Conservation Office). In 03.12.1981 the winehouse "Am Alten MArkt" opened. In 01.07.1992 Jürgen and Martha Scheurich took over the winehouse from their parents.

In May 2012, Uwe Überschär and Sabine Cinlay took over the historic house and are now running it again after it was lovingly restored as the "Schmuckkästchen" - Hotel & Café.

About the Schnatterloch:
What is most interesting about worlds famous Schnatterloch, is its origin and meaning of that peculiar name: In Schmeller Bavarian dictionary you will find the terms "Schnate" and Schnatie" for incision, wound or scar. The Schnatterloch was named so because of the hole it formed by the incision betwen the Schlossberg and the Greinberg. The legend of the geeses which warned the Milternberger with their gabbling of the secresive enemy raiding party, is indeed pretty, but forged. Also the name Schnatterloch has neither anything to do with the goose bumps that you get chilly during sudden entry into a cool forest, nor the chattering loquacity of female tongues in Milternberg.

- Bote vom Untermain 14.3. 2006, Miltenberger Tagblatt Jahrgang 1979/Nr. 14, Miltenberger Tagblatt 10 .Juli 1943, Miltenberger Bote 2006